Tuesday, February 10, 2009

It's official!

This post will be a little different than normal. It won't be about the crazy antics of my family. Today's post is about me. After 9 1/2 years, I am no longer a member of the U.S. Military. The day that I have looked forward to for a very long time is here! 

It's an oddly bittersweet moment. On one hand I am so excited to not have to keep my uniform presentable or worry about passing my physical fitness test every 6 months or jump through any of the other proverbial hoops that the military is famous for. I won't have to fret over getting the phone call telling me I am leaving on another deployment. That's the best. I won't be forced to leave my little family while missing out on some crucial (aren't they all crucial?) part of Tyson's childhood. However, it's a weird feeling to no longer be a member of something that has been such a large part of my adult life. 
The other day I teared up during the opening ceremony of the superbowl. It's not abnormal for me to get emotional during the National Anthem. However, I was responding to seeing the Honor Guard presenting the flags. I was suddenly sad that I wouldn't ever be a part of the pomp and circumstance that often happens when you don your uniform...wierd, I know. 

Even with all of the challenges and difficulties that I have experienced, I have never ever regretted joining the military. It has shaped my character in such a way and introduced me to some of the most interesting people and experiences I have ever known. 

So here's to the next phase of my life. May it be just as interesting...but hopefully a little less action packed:)

1 comment:

Jo said...

May it also be a safer journey. Obviously you made it back from Iraq in one piece but the threat was always there.